Currently, the government funds up to 570 hours of free childcare each year for 3 and 4 year olds, and some entitled 2 year olds. Although this is often advertised as ’15 free hours’ the actual calculation works out as 15 hours during term time only (38 weeks of the year). As Honeycroft is open and offers childcare for 49 weeks of the year we stretch this allocation to ensure as many of the hours can be used as possible, resulting in an offer of 12 hours per week for 47.5 weeks.
In addition, you might be eligible for the ‘30hrs’ funding, which is an additional 15 hours of funding, amounting to a total of 1470 hours per year. Again we stretch this allowance to cover 24 hours per week for 47.5 weeks. This additional 15 hours of free childcare is available for families where both parents are working (or the sole parent is working in a lone-parent family), and earns the equivalent of 16 hours a week at the national minimum or living wage.
To be eligible for 30 hours;
- You, and any partner, must each expect to earn (on average) at least £125 per week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage) approx. £6500 per year.
- If you, or your partner, are on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or you’re unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible.
- You can’t get 30 hours free childcare if either you, or your partner, each individually expect to earn £100,000 or more.
- Your child can start in their childcare place the term after they turn 3 years old and have received a valid 30 hours code, whichever is later. Term start dates are 1st September, 1st January and 1st April.
- To keep your 30 hours free childcare place you need to check your details are up to date every 3 months.
You must check your eligibility and apply for a special code which Honeycroft then needs to verify BEFORE we can confirm your funded hours. To find out if you are eligible go to www.childcarechoices.gov.uk and set up an account and then follow the required steps. If you need any further assistance or get stuck call the help line 0300 123 4097.
Download our 3&4 year old funding information here.